HOME/ ROSTER/ TOURNAMENTS/ LIVESCORE

My Prediction for the 5th FIBA Asia Cup

Sunday, July 13, 2014

With China defeating the 2013 FIBA Asia champions (Iran) in the preliminary round of group A, I think they (China) are likely to get the top spot in that group. And with Jordan suffering an unexpected defeat against Taiwan, I think the Philippines have the biggest chance of earning the top spot in group B. With all that in mind, I’m more than 80% sure this will be the seeding in groups A & B:

Preliminary Round:
Group A
A1 China
A2 Iran
A3 Japan
A4 India

Group B
B1 Philippines
B2 Chinese Taipei
B3 Jordan
B4 Singapore

In the Quarterfinals, I expect the Philippines and China to easily defeat their opponents while the battle between A2 Iran vs B3 Jordan and A3 Japan vs B2 Chinese Taipei will be a close match. Still, I expect Iran to win their game against Jordan (or will it be a de javu of when Jordan eliminated Iran in the quarterfinals in 2011?) and Japan (who sent their best lineup) to eliminate the young Taiwanese team.

Quarterfinals:
QF1: A1 China vs B4 Singapore
QF2: A2 Iran vs B3 Jordan
QF3: A3 Japan vs B2 Chinese Taipei
QF4: A4 India vs B1 Philippines

In my first prediction, I said that the finals will be a rematch between the Philippines and Iran, but with how things are going in the Preliminary Rounds, I guess the rematch would be a little earlier. I expect China to win against Japan (as much as I want Japan to take down China, I think the chance is very slim; talking about basketball, that is).

The match between the Philippines and Iran would surely be a grind, but with a healthy Kuya Marcus Douthit manning our middle, who knows! This may not be our best lineup, but I think the talent and #PUSO of our guys is enough to give any team in this competition a good match. #LabanPilipinas #PUSO!

Semifinals:
SF1: QF1 W China vs QF3 W Japan
SF2: QF2 W Iran vs QF4 W Philippines

Finals: SF1 W China vs SF2 W Philippines (hopefully)


Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Laban Gilas Pilipinas © 2013-2018